Monday 2 June 2014

Tessellated madness

My hopes for a less stressful week were denied as it turns out that hubby managed to break a couple of ribs and bruise his lung during his motorbike spill last week. After much to-ing and fro-ing to Drs and the hospital he is now more comfortable and, all being well, on the road to recovery! My deadline sewing projects have been screaming at me from the cutting table but I've had to ignore them as I was too tired to concentrate and couldn't risk bodging them. I couldn't go all week without sewing though so I cracked on with my Tessellated Madness epp project. Yesterday I squared it up and quilted it with a zingy green Aurifil thread with my usual crazy straight lines.
Here's a close-up of the quilting:
Then it was a quick job to turn it into a cushion because I clearly don't have nearly enough of those ;)
I used the most awesome print by Anna Maria Horner for the backing fabric along with a flash of solid to conceal the zip!
For someone who has always detested hand sewing I have done plenty of it this past year! Just look at this little lot:
Spring Carnival, Diamonds, kites and stars, Hexiestars and Tessellated Madness
It's official I am that crazy patchwork lady! I absolutely love that riot of colour :) Now that I've finished this Tessellated Madness cushion I'm slightly miffed that you can't really see the tessellated design very clearly. So what does any sane person do in this instance?... they start another one of course! I pulled this fabric stack last night with the intention of piecing a more subtle version. There are some of my favourite vintage style prints here in the form of Dream On by Urban Chiks, Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey, Lecien dots and the ever lovely Kei florals that I got from Polkadotteafabrics. Here's my progress so far:
I'm hoping that the tessellated design will be easier to spot now that I'm using prints consistently throughout the block instead of being scraptastic!

Edited to add: There will be a pre-cut paper pieces kit available for this design in September 2017. You can refer to this post for basic visual guidance if you get stuck. As usual if you make anything with these templates I'd love to see your version! Please use #tessellatedmadness on Instagram or add a picture to our flickr group. Alternatively feel free to email me a photo :) Catch you soon x

10 comments:

  1. I have knickers in that AMH print and I'm not even kidding.

    Glad DH is on the mend, you knew there'd be more to it didn't you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun cushion and I like your post, but my favourite part has to be the knickers comment from pennydog. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your scrappy tesselated cover is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing how different it looks with your other fabrics - I think that's what makes patchwork so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat a bit of EPP and if you can find any tiny excuse to do it all again, great!
    Hope hubby feels back to normal soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo of your bed. All your work is so full of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to read that hubby did not come off as well as he thought he had, broken ribs are a pain and of course cannot be plastered, hope they heal soon. Love your tessellations and how thrilled to find you have shared the pattern, have downloaded it but my computer has decided it does nor want to know my printer any more so will have to see if I can print them elsewhere from a memory stick

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've missed a few posts and your news of hubby parting ways with the bike. Thank goodness he's on the mend! Hope the sewing is therapeutic amid all the stresses at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU!! Cant wait to start mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course you needed more cushions, you needed them to prop himself up on ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your cushions! Hope hubby is feeling better by now!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.