Wednesday 8 February 2012

"Love hearts" inspired valentine

Today I've finished up a really quick little Valentine gift that I thought I'd share a brief "how to", for anyone else who fancies making a quick but cute gift. I love those yummy "Love hearts" sweets with the cute little sayings on them and this is kind of inspired by those. I used lots of scraps for this block which finishes up around 12" square.

For the block you will need: 2 - 12 .5" x 2.5" strips of white solid
4 - 4.5" x 2.5" strips of white solid
2 - 2.5" squares of white solid
4 - 2 7/8" squares of white solid
4 - 2 7/8" squares of red/pink fabric
3 - 4 6/8" x 2.5" strips of red/pink fabric

1. Prepare half square triangles. Match the white 2 7/8" squares to the red/pink 2 7/8" squares. Draw line diagonally corner to corner on the top square as a sewing guide. Sew with 1/4" seam allowance either side of the line. When finished cut along the drawn line to yield a total of 8 HST blocks. Press open and trim to 2.5" square.
2. Layout pieces as below with the addition of 2.5" squares in the gaps (I didn't photograph them in situ, sorry!)
3. Sew together in sections as shown below.
4. Sew short white strips to the sides of the heart block sections. (Again apologies for lack of photo for bottom section of heart.)
5. Attach long white strips to top and bottom of heart block.
6. Hey presto, one 12.5" block ready for quilting and binding.
7. The central rectangles provide the perfect place to stamp or embroider a little motto to your loved one just like on the sweets :) I'm afraid I can't show what I'm going to say on mine as hubby reads this blog and I'd like that at least to be a surprise ;)
I'd love to see your version if you try it out!! Catch you soon x

11 comments:

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.