Friday 4 May 2012

A twist on the tile

The day started well with deliveries of Summersville by Lucie Summers and...
Layer cake of Summersville!!
Tula Pink's book! I pre-ordered this book in December so was not impressed when I didn't receive it when it was released. I gave up waiting in the end and re-ordered it from elsewhere. I'm a happy bunny now :)
Tula Pink's book
After browsing through the book and petting the fabric I thought I'd tackle a Tile block. I've re-coloured the original block so that it corresponds with the fabrics I used.
Adaptation of the Tile block
It's a super easy block to make, hooray! I supersized this so the finished block will be turned into an 18" cushion. All you need is 9 - 6 1/2" squares and 6 - 4" squares.
Ruby Star and Echino :) 
I've used Ruby Star Rising, Ruby Star Shining and Echino to create this very funky cushion top. I think I'll hand quilt this one :)  I've taken a few process shots for Catherine and anyone else who might be interested in how I made the block up. The blocks represented by brown in the diagram are essentially flying geese blocks. I marked points half way along 3 sides then joined them up to create the lines to cut on.
I cut all the 4" squares into 2 right angled HSTs to make the flying geese. I'm sure there are more clever and accurate ways of doing this but this is what worked for me. I lined the long edge of the HST up with one of the angled edges of the brown block making sure I had little ears either side like below.
Don't forget the little dog ears :) 
 Sew a 1/4" inch seam then press open.
Repeat on the opposite side to complete the unit. I trimmed the finished blocks as necessary to 6 1/2" square.
Repeat to complete the unit. 
I pressed all the seams open to try and cut down on some the bulkiness. There are four units like this with different rotations as shown in the block diagram.
Finished geese unit
For the central unit the process is exactly the same except all four sides will have HSTs sewn to them to create the finished 6 1/2" unit.
Central block.
 The rest is self-explanatory really :) If you have any questions Catherine just drop me a line and I'll help if I can. I love, love, love the finished block!!! When I have more time I definitely see a quilt using this block in my future! Catch you soon x

5 comments:

  1. Lovely loot and funky block. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mail, and really cool block xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Renee, I can see a few of those being made up this weekend!! And I love the colours that you have used in yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cushion and a great walk through of how to make it!!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.