Sunday 2 March 2014

Diamonds, kites and stars revisited

After making my first Diamonds, kites and stars cushion someone suggested that I should enter it in to the Pantone Quilt Challenge. Unfortunately as I'd started making it last year it wasn't a candidate for submission, so I resolved to make another one to enter. Rather than bore myself senseless by making an exact replica I went for a different colour scheme. The Radiant Orchid was a prerequisite (being the Pantone colour of the year) and I decided to throw blue and green into the mix this time.
I crazy straight line quilted with a 'radiant orchid' Rowan thread. Slightly tricky to capture the colour in the photo but I'm sure you can imagine it ;)
I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned it out! I couldn't resist taking this shot on our bed with the original cushion. It would appear I have a thing purple...who knew? ;) 
This time around I tweaked a few things in the construction process and was delighted how well it went together. I've taken loads of process photographs and I'm now contemplating writing a pattern for it. I'm taking a straw poll here: Would anyone out there be interested in the pattern and/or a scrap kit to make your own? I promise not to be offended :) 
I've got a ton of sewing to get done this month so I'll hope to be back with updates on progress soon. Catch you soon x

Edited to add: This cushion finished up around 18" square :) Free pattern now available here.

12 comments:

  1. this is a beauty and yes I would be interested in having a go at one. Best of luck in the quilt challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cushion and a pattern would be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely would love to have a go. It is a really interesting design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fun. I prefer the pink colours to the blues. A pattern would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They go really well together and I think it would make a great kit. The crazy straight line method of quilting has never crossed my mind, why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a minor purple obsession, but it all matches very nicely :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turned out brilliantly! I especially love the quilting! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fabulous. And I am with you on the purple

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous colour combinations and lovely cushions as a result! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to echo others here and say definitely post a pattern! :) I love both versions of this design! One is more sunset and the other is more twilight, and both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I'm not usually a purple person, but when you compared your original pillow with the purple version, I actually like the purple one best - thought they're both great ;)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.