Monday 5 September 2011

Stuff and nonsense

I love a good post day! My gorgeous Doll Quilt Swap arrived today all the way from Vegas! My partner, Karie (Four monkeys quilts) sent me this beautiful solids quilt. I'd somehow managed to miss it in the group pool but I absolutely love it! This will be living in my sewing room :)
Check out the cute label :)
Karie also included some goodies for me. Those stamps are so me! I think I might use these on quilt labels in the future :) I have been such a lucky swapper!
I've been quiet on the blog these last few days as I've been busy creating. Here's a sneak peek of a pooches and pickups project that's currently on its' way to USA. When it arrives at its' destination I'll show you more :)
I've also been doing some creating that's a bit different for me. A while ago Jess bought a new album for her iPod by Sixx: A.M. and some of the lyrics really struck me. The idea for a wall-hanging based on the lyrics was born and now I've finally made it. I need to bind and back it but in essence it's done. I don't think I've ever made anything that has been inspired by lyrics before.
The main inspiration was the message not to judge a book by its' cover, so I've made books on a bookshelf with words from various songs on the album that are relevant to Jess. (As an aside, I need a shelf with trams/trains on it like this one). This book with "I dare you" has a cover that Jess found ugly (I disagree, as I love it!)...
but inside it holds a fabric that she really likes. I've written some of the lyrics inside to remind her :)
It also refers to "places that scare you", hence the book title below and the large piece of echino at the top of the wall hanging. Big cities are certainly scary places at the moment for Jess but one of these days she'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about :)
Unfortunately for me, Jess was particularly underwhelmed by my creativity so I thought I'd better do something about that. Here in progress is a Guns n Roses cross stitch for my "sweet child" :)
This is apparently much more cool....kids, there's no understanding them!
Apologies for the rather random collection of thoughts today I've been really distracted all day. Hoping to make more sense the next time...I won't be holding my breath though ;) Catch you soon x

6 comments:

  1. Awww Reene, that wall hanging for Jess, it is soooo sweet you brought tears to my eyes! The mini quilt you got is fab, I'm wracking my brains (wont take long) and I dont remember seeing it either, but it is really lovely :-) Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you've been a busy bee! Fab wallhanging for Jess! I challenge any teen not to like it. You've clearly put so much thought into it for her, I'm sure she'll treasure it for a v.long time. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it wouldn't take a genius to guess that I absolutely love the wall-hanging - I think it is truly amazing!!
    Can't wait to see the P&P in full. And who doesn't need a stamp that says 'posh'!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a lovely post of different things. I lOVE the wall hanging - such a cool idea and your solids swap quilt is lovely lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ive been wanting to order some of that puppy fabric. It looks great. I can't wait to see the while thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wall hanging - I'm sure Jess does too! Your doll quilt is great - bet it looks great in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.